CURRENT POSITION; UWCSEA East, Singapore, Head of Art K-12. 2011 - present.
"Founder of the internationally renowned Art Department at East Campus"
UWCSEA, East grew by 500 students each year for three years since its opening in 2011 presenting unique and exciting opportunities for the development of the program. The Department runs vertically, K-12, with six teachers and two support staff. Each school division has a Head of Art that I line-manage. We offer the traditional Fine Arts range of courses with: Screen Printing and Ceramics in dedicated studios; Graphic Design with a full graphics lab furnished with both iPads and iMacs, and a workshop with a technician who assists and supports the Art program, staff and students. We have our own large format printing within the department, which is used extensively for displays. Our senior students have their own studio space that allows them to work outside of class times.
Vibrant displays of student work are a vital function of any Art department. We print to canvas and mount work submitted by students to an online platform for display. Administrators and teachers are able to select work, which we then print and frame for them. There are constant revolving displays in the Art Department. Currently I am part of the writing committee for a new 9-10 curriculum that will replace iGCSE, giving us the opportunity to create a curriculum relevant to today’s student
- International School Tianjin, IST Chair of Arts (8 years), 2003-2011
- The Hutchins School Head of Art, 1990-2003
- President of the Tasmanian Art Teachers Association, 1990-94
- Education Department Art Teacher (three schools: Campbell Town District High School; Bridgewater High School - two years Head of Department, 1982- 1989; Rokeby High School) 1989-1990
Centre Care, family emergency accommodation Night Supervisor and Counsellor, 1989 – 2000
TASMANIAN EDUCATION RELEVANT PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE
- Subject Writing Committee TASSAB, 1987-2002
- Moderator for Art for TASSAB, (Tasmanian Secondary School Assessment Board), 1990-2002
- Author of "Creative Design syllabus" for TASSAB, 1995
- External Examiner for Art TASSAB, 1993
OTHER RELEVANT LEADERSHIP AND TEAM EXPERIENCE
- Appointed member of SEASAC steering committee for the re- establishment of Arts Festivals. 2015
- SEASAC Arts Festival organising committee for UWCSEA, 2017 (three Day Arts Festival at the school)
- “IN Arts” Organiser professional development (Art), two day workshop, 11 Schools SEA Asia, UWCSEA, 2017
- ACAMIS ACE Coordinator Association of China and Mongolia International Schools (50+ member schools), 2008-2010
- Chair of Art, Drama and Music IST International School, Tianjin China, 2006-2011
- Chair of the Teacher's Council, IST International School, Tianjin China, 2008-2011
- Job alike leader, 2007, Area of Interaction Leader, 2007
- Staff Representative, Board of Governors IST International School, Tianjin, China, 2007
- Member of the Registration Board, 2002 Representing AIST (Association of Independent Schools Tasmania), 2004-2005
- Instigator and original committee member for "The Hutchins Art Prize”
UTAS Bachelor Fine Arts, 1978-1982 Diploma of Education,1978-1982
- Singapore Leadership Programme 2021 with (Dan Brown, Chris Jansen and Greg Jansen)
- Cognitive Coaching, Coach Training for Trainer, Dr Ochan Kusuma- Powell and Mr William Powell, UWCSEA, Singapore, 2015
- Assessment for Learning, Dylan Williams UWCSEA, Singapore, 2014
- Leadership for Effective Teams, UWCSEA, Singapore, 2011-2013
- Looking for Learning, Pam Harper, UWCSEA, Singapore, 2011-2013
- EARCOS Institute "Leadership Strategies for Department Heads and Teacher Leaders" Bambi Betts, 2008, TEDA, Tanggu, China EARCOS Institute
- EARCOS "Planning to Assess" Bambi Betts, Shanghai China, 2006
- ESL in the Mainstream, IST International School, Tianjin China, 2003
- "Differentiating Instruction" Dr Ochan Kusuma- Powell and Mr William Powell, Tianjin China, 2003
- Numerous IT mentor courses and workshops as a leader and mentor, 2008-present
IBO Diploma: Manila, 2015; Dubai, 2008; Tokyo, 2008; UAE Dubai, 2007; Chiang Mai, 2005; 2006 and 2009; Colombo, 2003
IBO MYP: New Zealand, 2003, Shanghai, 2008 IBO PYP:2006 and 2009; Colombo, 2003; Beijing, 2004
- Apple Distinguished Educator, Class of 2008
- Co-organiser ACAMIS Middle School Cultural Convention Tianjin, 2009
- Member Qinghai Community and Service Project, (Tibet) IST International School, Tianjin China
- Organiser and producer ART on the Go! (ACE Book of ACAMIS art students), 2007-2011, China wide
- Producer "A Celebration of Broadway" school production, 2009, IST International School, Tianjin China
- Creative Designer and Maker "Oliver" school production, 2007, IST International School, Tianjin China
- Set Designer and Maker "Little Shop Horrors" school production, 2005, IST International School, Tianjin China
- Mask designer and maker "Jungle Book" school production, 2004, IST International School, Tianjin China.
I take pride in leading/being part of effective teams that are characterised by collaboration and mutual respect. Time at work is a large part of every professional person’s life; I feel it should be effective, enriching and enjoyable. A sense of humour and a social focus are important ways to build and maintain trust and well-being in a team setting. I am a firm believer in values based education as a way to encourage dialogue and learning in a cooperative and productive environment for all. My primary message to teachers in the department is that students should find the courses we offer enjoyable and fulfilling - this is our first measure. We look for opportunities to enable student agency and to respond to feedback through Student ‘360’ surveys. I have always believed that school extends beyond the formal curriculum and have been heavily involved in supporting the service program through supervising visits to local Hospitals, MINDS School for students with specific needs. I have also had an interest in student led groups supporting sustainability through art. The art activity program is rich with variety and students wanting to be involved. In recent sign ups we were challenged with over one hundred students signing up. I have also personally worked with Heads of Grades in nine and ten to offer wellbeing sessions for students. Every student makes a pot for a special person, it is fired, glazed and returned to them. This program is warmly anticipated and supported by the students each year. I have alway exceeded expectations with regard to this important aspect of my work.
IT AND TECHNOLOGY IN EDUCATION
I am a passionate user and innovator in IT. I have led the introduction of digital submission of student work to support learning and safe protection of student work. In 2008 I was pleased to be offered the title of ‘Apple Distinguished Educator’. I played a leadership role in the introduction of MacBooks at IST, China, and offered an advisory role for other schools in the region.
WIDER INVOLVEMENT AS A TEACHER
I have loved being involved in social activities and school events, as well as belonging to a range of professional associations. Additionally, I have been involved in coaching sporting teams, and have earlier in my life held Australian Sports Institute qualifications in sailing, kayaking, and windsurfing.
Married to Theresa Werner, HS English Teacher, Friends School, Hobart; two adult children, both with strong values and already successful in their chosen careers
Hobbies and interests: Windsurfing, hydro foiling, technology gadgets, reading, exercise, avid paddle boarding, windsurfing and wind-foiling, also scuba diving with Australian PADI cert, and Golf. I always have a painting underway in the studio, using a number of styles and media.
UWCSEA East 1 Tampines Rd 73 Singapore, Singapore
MOBILE - +6583219396
EMAIL - email@example.com